The Feast Day of Our Lady of Sorrows: September 15th


Reflection as a Mother:


My Husband could tell you all day about how much of an overthinker I am. At times, it comes in handy, like when we are on a trip and the slight chance occurs that we use an item that I typically overpack. Most of the time, though, it is my greatest flaw. It makes me question the person God created me to be and, at times, His great plan for my life when I face adversities. I cling to things people say or do and replay them over and over, convincing myself that I have identity in them. 


The thing I overthink about most is my motherhood, probably because that is the stage of life I am entering into now. The thing I reflect on the most in my motherhood is: Am I doing enough? I cling to things people say or do and replay them over and over, convincing myself that I have identity in them.  This is something that consumes my mind as a mother, often because comparison is such a thief of joy.


 When I find myself overthinking my role as a mother, I start to reflect on our Blessed Mother's motherhood with Jesus. I ponder what Mary was focused on as a mother that drew her so close to God. The thing that was special about Mary’s motherhood was not the perfect Pinterest crafts she did with him or the picture-perfect dinners she would make; it was something so much more profound than earthly things we often associate with mothering. It was her constant yes.


 From the moment of conception of her precious son to his burial in the tomb. She said yes to every single moment of her motherhood. When I look at the Seven Sorrows Mary faced in her life, I reflect on her capacity to lean into God and trust Him completely in times of unimaginable pain. 


I know myself. If I had faced that level of pain in my own motherhood, I would be overthinking endlessly. I would question God and His plan. If I had to bury my own child, I would likely grow bitter and angry with Him. But not Mary. Mary trusted God and leaned into Him through every bit of her sorrow, which is a grace I pray to grow in within my own faith journey. 


This Feast Day of Our Lady of Sorrows is a wonderful reminder to stretch our faith, to learn how to be faithful servants to God, and to continue saying yes to His plan even in times of great sorrow. While Our Lord offers us salvation through His Cross, He does not promise a life without suffering. As Saint Teresa of Calcutta so beautifully put it, suffering is but a kiss from Jesus Himself. 


So how can we teach our children to suffer well? A reflection on the sorrows Mary faced is a great start.


Homeschool Activities:

Pray the Chaplet of Our Lady of Sorrows:


This devotion is a great way to lean into each of the seven sorrows Mary faced and meditate on them. This gives your children a moment to reflect on the pain and sorrow she faced. The Hallow app offers a great explanation of how to pray this chaplet and even offers an audio of the prayer to follow along. You can find the Rosary used to pray this chaplet at your local Catholic store or on Amazon. I have a few options linked in my storefront below (As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you).


How to Pray the Seven Sorrows 


Amazon Storefront


Pray the Litany of Our Lady of Sorrows:


Chanting the Litany of Our Lady of Sorrows is a beautiful way for your children to connect with our Blessed Mother and her powerful intercession. This can be done as a family or even a co-op group! This is a way to involve children of all ages and invite them to participate in this meditation on Mary. Below is a link to download a Litany that has kid-friendly spacing for free!! If you want to bring literacy to the table, check out the vocabulary activities linked below that complement the Litany!


Our Lady of Sorrows Litany Free



Our Lady of Sorrows Vocab Activity


Go to Mass or Adoration:


The perfect way to introduce your children to a feast day is by attending Mass. Hear the readings that connect to this feast day, listen to the knowledge your priest has through his homily, and most importantly, participate in the eucharistic prayer and receive our Lord!! Check your local parish's Mass times. If the Mass times do not fit your schedule, try to find a time to go to adoration and reflect on the seven sorrows of Mary with your children. Prep them beforehand with thorough teaching of the sorrows and encourage them to bring a journal!


Teach your children the seven sorrows:

 

Check out the activities below to help your children dive deeper into their understanding of the Seven Sorrows of Our Lady! If you are looking to learn more about the Seven Sorrows, I have also linked a prayer packet that I discovered for free online. This resource would better suit young adults!


Our Lady of Sorrows Prayer Packet



Our Lady of Sorrows Booklet



Our Lady of Sorrows Bundle




Comments

Popular Posts

Got questions on Catholic education? Ask below and look for answers in an upcoming article!

Name

Email *

Message *